Pages

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Beautiful Blogger Widgets

Monday, August 1, 2016

10 Days of Homeschooling with Diabetes - part 6 Afternoon rest time

Pin It
Read the series from the beginning :Part 1
I'm tired...and when I say I'm tired what I really mean is I'M TIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today was our official back to school day and we had a great time learning together. And then...just as I was dreaming of flopping onto my bed and celebrating Daddy revved up the car and we headed out on an expedition to pick up hymnals for our church, my diabetes medication from the pharmacy, and groceries.  We are just rolling back in at 8 p.m.!  Oh, well, so much for my nap! 

Some days just fly by with so many things to accomplish and if I go, go, go all day at some point my body will literally crash and burn! For diabetics adequate rest is important.  Nap time are probably two of my favorite words! Unfortunately my 2 year old doesn't really nap anymore and the 1 year old has started skipping his morning nap which equals toddler caos until around 4 p.m.  This would be fine except my body is screaming to rest around 2 p.m.  Do the math.

So we have instituted Afternoon rest time.

The ideal would be...(cue dream scene music)
...every one sitting or lying down in their own room placidly pushing cars around or coloring.

The REALITY is...
...every one lives in the same room and when they are all in there together there is anything but quiet going on!  

The solution - What we do.
    After lunch time the babies go down for a nap.  Which usually ends up being around 2 p.m.  The 2 year old Princess who insists that she doesn't need to sleep will  normally cave in after a few minutes in her crib.  If not she has learned to play quietly with her play dishes or look at a book.  The baby is in his playpen with his treasured bottle of milk and he will also snuggle down for his nap.

   The older boys have to go downstairs.  Their idea of playing quietly usually involves elaborate train wrecks, transformer battles, and crazy inventions with clay and string.  NOT EVEN CLOSE to Mommy's definition of quiet.  So they must play downstairs on a carpet that we have set up for toy usage.  We have a closet with their toys stored in it and them may remove items by permission only.  We call it the Toybrary! 

If they violate the rules by yelling, fighting, coming upstairs repeatedly, or interrupting Mommy a hundred times to ask a million unnecessary questions, then they may receive a mandatory nap time as well.  If they have had too much "togetherness" during the day then they may be assigned different areas like one of you goes outside.

And Mom? Normally Daddy is home to corral the troops if necessary and I am in my room blissfully doing WHATEVER I WANT which may include taking my own much needed nap or having a little me time or working on whatever I couldn't concentrate on with eight extra arms hanging off of me!

So take that time to rest, rejuvenate, and renew your energy for the rest of the day. Trust me, you won't regret it!

Be blessed!

Casandra

No comments:

Post a Comment